These are some of the many compliments that Sachin Tendulkar has earned from the cricketing fraternity over the years.
- In terms of technique and compactness, Tendulkar is the best: Desmond Haynes.
- I saw him playing on television and was struck by his technique, so I asked my wife to come look at him. Now I never saw myself play, but I feel that this player is playing much the same as I used to play, and she looked at him on Television and said yes, there is a similarity between the two... his compactness, technique, stroke production... it all seemed to gel: Sir Donald Bradman.
- There is no shame being beaten by such a great player, Sachin is perhaps only next to the Don: Steve Waugh.
- Sachin is cricket's God: Barry Richards.
- He's the best in the business: Mohinder Amarnath.
- Sachin is an attacker. He has much more power than Sunny. He wants to be the one to set the pace. He has to be on top. That's the buzz about him: Jeff Thompson.
- If I've to bowl to Sachin, I'll bowl with my helmet on. He hits the ball so hard: Dennis Lillee.
- l'll be going to bed having nightmares of Sachin just running down the wicket and belting me back over the head for six. He was unstoppable. I don't think anyone, apart from Don Bradman, is in the same class as Sachin Tendulkar. He is just an amazing player: Shane Warne.
- When it comes to judging the best among these fabulous band of batsmen, my vote goes to Tendulkar. He has an uncanny ability to come out on top under different circumstances and under different conditions, whether it is Test cricket or one-day internationals. And more importantly, he has done this so young: Shane Warne.
- Don't bowl him bad balls, he hits the good ones for fours: Michael Kasprowicz.
- He is a perfectly balanced batsman and knows perfectly well when to attack and when to play defensive cricket. He has developed the ability to treat bowlers all over the world with contempt and can destroy any attack with utmost ease: Greg Chappell.
- It's scary, where the hell do we bowl to him?: Allan Border.
- I'd like to see him go out and bat one day with a stump. I tell you he'd do okay: Greg Chappell.
- He has defined cricket in his fabulous, impeccable manner. He is to batting what Shane Warne is to bowling: Richie Benaud.
- Sachin's the best. I've had this view since I saw him score that hundred in Sydney in 1992. He's the most composed batsman I've ever seen: Mike Coward.
- The pressure on me is nothing as compared to Sachin Tendulkar. Sachin, like God, must never fail. The crowd always expects him to succeed and it is too much pressure on him: Mark Waugh.
- I still think Tendulkar is the best batsmen in the world ahead of Steve Waugh and Lara: Glenn McGrath.
- He is currently the best batsman in the world: Sir Gary Sobers.
- There's no doubt about it. He is the best: Tony Grieg.
- Cricketers like Sachin come once in a lifetime and I am privileged he played in my time : Wasim Akram.
But one of my all time favorites has been, a small conversation between Micheal Kasprowicz and Denis Lillee. During the Bangalore Test, frustrated, Kasprowicz went to Dennis Lillee and asked him, "Mate, do you see any weaknesses?" To which Lillee replied, "No Michael, as long as you walk off with your pride that's all you can do".
But the finest compliment must be that bookmakers (bookies) would not fix the odds - or a game - until Tendulkar was out.
Courtesy - My special thanks to Ritesh Chandra for the special quotes.